Friday, August 9, 2013

Message to Santuario Eucaristico Youth



Some few years ago, I was also a choir member. As a member that time, I could easily remember any new song. Remembering the different parts of the arrangements... from soprano part up to the bass part has never been a problem to me. I could easily interpret what was written on the music score. But the sad thing was, I had a terrible voice… I had a very limited vocal range that’s why I can’t sing well.

I knew it already, but my choir mates in ‘Himig ni Job Choir,' who were mostly, professional singers, were so patient with me. They never intimidated me even most of the times, because of passion, I sing aloud when I got carried away. They never blamed me if ever I over powered the other tenors in the group. But, instead they appreciated me when I discovered that I could sing the bass parts... actually, they helped me to discover that and they believe in me that I can do that.

There was a dire choir need in that parish that time that’s why, our choir,  ‘Himig ni Job Choir’ came into existence for a while. Like other church goers, I never go to my own parish because I hated my ill-tempered parish priest that’s why I preferred to go to an Adventist Church instead for many years. My college classmate, Brother Ronie, as we fondly called him, invited me to attend a 'Singles for Christ' program-seminar. He did invited me since our first year college, and I just heed his invitation a year after our graduation. Because of the 'cheap' merienda [snacks]-- a cheese bread without cheese, with a water flavored juice being offered, I persevered. I was so inspired because they were so generous to contribute their cooking utensils and other resources from home and their precious allowance for us, their participants, to persevere. Then, that was the revival of my Catholic faith.

The choir endured me for a very long time. I was so reactive then.  It was indeed a long process of learning and discovering. Sis. Rheena gave me an idea on how to read notes and Kuya Dhong, our choir master, gave me an idea how to play the organ. They helped me to discover my new craft... I was far better in playing instruments than in singing. To practice playing with them was their moment of agony. When I was practicing the intros of every new liturgical song for the season, I usually asked them to repeat again and again until I master it, even more, when I we have songs with transpositions at the end part. My first few months of playing was so terrible but they remained so patient. Kuya Dhong, on organ and piano, and Br. Celso, on guitar, patiently played with me. They guided me and shared with me their resources and experiences.

Leony lent me her bulky collection of music-sheets. The couple, Br. Ronnie and Sis. Ann, provided me with a portable piano-organ so that I would not need to bring my own from home. Sis. Marvie, with his boyfriend then, Br. Randy, always bring something to eat.

Our bonding moments were the most important experience that I treasure from this choir group. After a year of serving, all of us went on our own ways but the friendship we built has never been changed. I always reflect: “why they were so patient with me? I have no talent at all.”

Now that I grow older, I realized that we valued more our friendship above the rest. Our friendship has deepen our commitment in singing for the Lord. Our friendship has inspired me to love the Church which was so complicated for me to understand: ‘Napakasungit ng parish priest sa parokya na yun. Mga matatandang dalaga na hindi maipinta ang mga mukha na laging galit sa mga  youth members. Mga madadamot na tao na mga parang galit sa mundo na ginagawang panakot lagi si ‘father.’’ [The  parish priest was so hard to deal with. The spinsters were so very bad mannered and always scolding us, the youth. There were so many ungenerous peoples who always invent gossips against us and brag themselves to our parish priest].  They were so sickening and offending but with my choir group, the Himig ni Job Choir, I was helped to transcend these so pathetic people and inspired to focus on my service.  From them, I learned to be committed for the Lord. From them, I learn to love God.

Why I am telling you this? Because I want you to be more kind and patient. I am praying that one day, you will realize that serving the Lord is not about ‘pagalingan’ [being the best] but a matter of commitment. Everyone is a gift. I believe that every member with his/her weaknesses and strengths is a gift from God. They strive hard just to be here in the Church. Like you, they also sacrifice a lot just to be here in the Church. Why setting them aside? Why pinpointing their weaknesses? Why turning them down? Why creating a division that eliminates others? Why disapproving these gifts of God?

As your brother, I am happy that most of you appreciate my 'giftedness.' But many years ago, I was also a stupid and a ‘pasaway’ [incorrigible] member of my choir group. But all those years, I was changed and has followed God because I experienced the love of God manifested into the kindness and generosity of my choir mates. My being so prideful was deliberately melted away because of that experience of love. And because of that love that I experienced with my ever patient choir group, I felt that the Church was so loving… I transcended everyone who I learned to hate inside the Church and I started to be inspired by those people who exert their effort to care for me. I started to learn how to forgive and I was humbled to ask for forgiveness. With my choir mates, I found joy in serving the Lord.

Maybe, we are the last people inside the Church who they are clinging into. We should not let our precious chances to burst into thin air. Instead of learning to ignore, learn to be compassionate. Instead of learning to be indifferent, learn to listen. Instead of learning to hate, learn to love. Ignorance, indifference, and hatred were never taught in the Church but why we become less compassionate... unable to hear and unable to love?

My dear youths, I admire your willingness to serve. I admire your talents. I admire your leadership and your value for your respective craft. Above all, I admire you for sharing your 'gift of presence.'  As your brother, I ask you to be a gift to one another. Learn to appreciate one another. Learn to value and to love the 'gift of self' of one another. Protect the springing vocation of one another by being a loving brother and sister to one another. You can start love one another if you would treat one another as family. Together with Jesus Christ as our Lord and Brother, we become brothers and sisters; with Jesus Christ, we become children of God, the Father; and with Jesus Christ, we become united and enflamed by  the love by the Holy Spirit.

As a promising member of our Church, I always pray that you would develop your full potentials so that when your time will come, the time when you will lead and eventually take our place, you would also be a compassionate and loving servant-leaders to all.  I hope that one day, you will also re-echo the same love that you have experienced today by being an ever living witness of the love of Jesus Christ... that day, you will be the one telling your own story... a story of generosity... a story of love.

May God's love always embrace you and be with you always.




No comments: