Monday, December 19, 2011

Gospel Mt 25:14-30: The Parable of the Talents


I believe that every one of us is endowed by God with a talent. Others, may even realized that God has given them more than a talent. These talents are special. Aside from the fact that these are God-given talents, these talents make us unique as a person.

In line with this, allow me to render a part of a song:
I raise my heart as my offering
A pure intention of my sacrifice
As I give back to You, O Lord
All what You own in me…

As I give back to You, O Lord All what You own in me… Like you, God has given me a talent. And what I have just sung is a part of a song which I myself composed.

The servants in the gospel today in the parable of the talents, are almost like us. Some of us here would use their talent wisely and make good profit out of it. But sadly, some of us may not even recognize their God-given talent because they are more ashamed of it rather than being proud.

Let me illustrate the gospel of today with these three points. First, we are mere stewards of God-given talents; second, God is happy when we use our talents wisely; and third, we are called by God to share our talents to others.

First of all, our talents are God given. Since our talents are God-given, we are called by God to be responsible stewards. We are mere stewards of all the gifts from God we transform it into a life giving and life sustaining human creation. We must always remember that good stewardship is a way of life; through it we express the glory of God’s kingdom.

Second, I want you to know that God is very happy when we use our talents wisely. Remember that from the gospel of today, the servant with three talents has the same reward with the servant with five talents. And with this, the master wants to share his joy to these two servants. To share the master’s joy means to share from God His heavenly Kingdom. Brothers and sisters, God is a generous God. If only he would find us as a responsible steward, He will be generous to give us more blessings. We must remember that in our life’s journey, God is not counting our failures, but our trustworthiness to remain faithful in accordance to His will.

Let us affirm our life’s journey with God. Let us say in our hearts: On my journey with God, I am letting Him lead. I let things go and let my God to do His will in me. I trust Him with all my heart. And on my journey I know that He is near. It means that we are not afraid to use our talent because we know that God is near.

Third, we are called by God to share our talents to others. We must remember that talents are blessings from God, and what we are offering to others are the same talents and blessing that we received from God. As a community of God, we must realize that: we need to appreciate one another; as a community of God, we must realize that: we must value one another… because must realize that we need one another. Each one of us with a unique talent contributes a piece of a puzzle into God’s greater glory where we can claim that: in diversity, we have unity. And we are united by God’s mercy.

The Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) points out that there is no one who is so poor that he cannot give something to others, nor too rich not to need for other’s for help. We can always contribute and give our share. I remember, Diocese of Cubao launch this project on stewardship: Share your Talent, Treasure, and Time. Talent: to participate in Church’s activities. Treasure: To support church’s activities. Time: to be committed in every church’s activity.

As good stewards, let us always remember these three points: first, we are mere stewards of God-given talents; second, God is happy when we use our talents wisely; and third, we are called by God to share our talents to others.
Let us appreciate one another. Let us say to one another: Thank you for the memories we've shared for giving me a home in your heart. Thank you for the life that you've shared I found a family in you. You've touched me more than anyone else. You've moved me and inspired me to do my best. You made me feel, you made me realized the value that's in me. You loved me as your friend. You're my family.

And to God let us give our thanksgiving.
Take me Lord as Your servant
Fill my heart with Your faith
As I move with Your Spirit
Lead me Lord, as Your servant...
...where You are...
Lead me Lord, as Your servant...
...where You are...

In our celebration of the Eucharist, let us ask God to make us good stewards…

Amen.




Br. Dennis DC. Marquez, sSSS

No comments: