Monday, April 15, 2013

Where I Am Now As I Enter Unto the Novitiate



I acknowledge my presence here in the novitiate as a grace of God-- a gift despite of my imperfections… a mystery that unfolds unto me little by little each day--  from the start of my journey… when the moment I said ‘yes’ to God.

I always remember that God has been with me as I sailed to Davao City for my postulancy. There, I realized that my past life was made complicated by my very own personal desires.

‘Letting go’ of things has been so hard for me at the start of my formation for I used to live in fear when uncertainties come along the way as I embrace a more simple life. The congregation’s ‘come and see’ program’ has opened my eyes to see God more clearly; and the program has enabled me to experienced Him as He manifest Himself through the Eucharist—inspired by His compassionate love, I am resolved that my life’s purpose is to serve God.

From my past, I used to believe that I was just running away from my responsibilities and obligations in life... that my choice was merely influenced by my personal gratification. There were times that I could find myself asking God why He chose me. I asked Him, “why me and not the others.” Sometimes, at the back of my mind, there’s a part of me that always dreaming of having a family of my own where I can be a father to my own children.

Such blames and agonies were pacified by God’s time. My intentions were, perhaps, purified as I understand my purpose—not as my personal choice but as a part of God’s magnificent plan.

I also acknowledge the desert parts of my journey where in this, sometimes dry and a desolate, journey, I heard God speaking to me. During these chaotic moments, there were times when I'm alone in my room, that I feel terribly lonely. I admit, it’s hard for me to imagine that I’ll be alone waking till the rest of my life without someone by my side. Sometimes, it’s nice to imagine that there’s this human touch caressing me gently to assure me that I’ll be okay whenever I feel sick and chilling during the cold dark nights. But, these fantasies would all end up when I imagine the face of God on the cross… alone and deserted by his own beloved apostles… where in my loneliness, he’s always there to fill the emptiness that succumbs my restless soul.

God has been there in the darkest part of my life... when all the things that I used to love appear to be meaningless… when the sole purpose of my personhood was jeopardized by corruptions and injustices. In Him, as I pray, I cried all the tears of my heart. I fervently asked God to teach my heart to accept the things that I cannot change. I ask Him to make me understand the things that are beyond my capacity and to inculcate in my heart the virtue of patience that would give me strength in this very long journey to persevere and to find joy in whatever circumstances.

I also pray for the grace of humility so that I can serve Him best in whatever means I could do. I know that my restless soul will finally find its rest in Him alone. Nothing more should my heart desire but His love as my God and my dear Savior.




Den Mar
(May 17, 2008. Written during my Novitiate days at SSS Novitiate, Carmel Farms, San Jose del Monte, Bulacan)

No comments: