Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Job 1:20-22




Job 1:20-22
20 Then Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, and fell on the ground and worshiped. 21 He said, "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked shall I return there; the LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." 22 In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrongdoing.

Job is a model of man’s trust in God. His life has been an offering of thanksgiving to all of God’s blessing to his life. He is a person who knew by heart how to let go of the things that are passing in this world and how to let God do his will in him.

Job 1:21 is my most favorite quotation from the Bible. When there are so many challenges in my life, I always say this verse to myself: ‘The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away…’ followed by: ‘wala namang nawala… (nothing was lost).’ In my ordinary life, I always have the option of not to give but I can't resist of doing this because the Jesus Christ in me urges me to give Himself to others.
It reminds me that all things in this world are all passing. Even my most beloved persons in life will pass away. With this claim, I am assured of the hope that everything will come back to God as what Job is clinging on to.

Inspiringly, Job, despite of all the trials pressed on him by the devil, Job remained steadfast in his faith. He did not blame God, instead he praised him. He never failed to recognize all the goodness and blessings God has given him. He did not equate that one instance in his life as a curse coming from God, what he has seen in the situation is the generosity of God throughout his life and the authority of God over his life where he instantly surrendered his entire life.

As a Filipino, I could easily relate with Job. I am also a person who usually utter: ‘bahala na ang Diyos (leave it to God)’ after the so many toils in my life that usually frustrate me. When there are so many things happening in my life that I could not easily decipher or understand their meaning, I usually fall on my knees in front of the Blessed Sacrament and silently whispher to God: ‘suko na po ako… Kayo na po ang bahala (I surrender, I leave everything to you).’

But unlike me, Job has transcended human frailties. Job is worth emulating that is why, this wisdom literature really touches my heart. These verses were the usual theme of my reflection: ‘how to let go and let God’-- how to trust God despite of the unfathomable meaning of problems that bother my vocation as of now. There are so many ‘whys’ in my heart, but, like Job, I rely on the wisdom of God. I am also hopeful that one day, what has been a mystery for me today will also be revealed to me according to God’s time tomorrow. Most of the time when I do counseling to people who asks my advice, I usually quote Job and I usually end with these words, “one day soon, ang lahat ng iniiyakan mo e tatawanan mo rin because these things would make you a stronger person.”

God let the devil to tempt us for us to be drawn nearer to Him. Our trust in the Lord glorifies Him. Our trust in the Lord makes God more Father to us. Our openness to God’s embrace invites the Holy Spirit to reside in our very own heart. Through Job, I now understand that trials in life do not mean that we are cursed by God. It is our strength that the devil put into test. The more we cling on to God, the more we gain virtues that strengthen our faith.




Den Mar

No comments: