Thursday, June 14, 2012

Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary


===

June 16, 2012

Today , we celebrate the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Wherein, we could also say that we remember today the goodness of a Mother. Mary, with her pure, meek and loving heart, has completely understood and fully embraced the mysterious God. When Jesus said to them, 'Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?' With her husband, Joseph, she did not understand what Jesus said to them. Perhaps, there was no reaction from her as a Mother of God, but she keeps on pondering everything in her heart. In some translation, she treasured everything in her heart.

Mary reminds me of my mother. Perhaps, my mother is the only person who knows me well. In Tagalog, we have this cliché, “Tingin pa lang alam na. Tono pa lang ng boses, alam na. Kahit wala pang sabihin alam na… kasi Nanay.” An equivalent in English would be, “Mother knows best.”

If ever I wanted something from my Father, I remember, I always ask my mother to request it for me. When someone hurts me, my mother will be there to protect me. When I fall and wound my knees as a child, she’s there to comfort me and to heal my wounds. When I am sick, she spends the night beside me and watches me through the night.

My childhood revolves around my loving mother who made herself available for me. I also have little brethrens, but her love for us remains equal. Even to the point that she stands as both mother and father to all of us. She withstands all the trials of life just to provide a decent living for all of us her children. I know, every mother could do this: to give her life to her beloved children. And perhaps, you also have your own sweet memorable mother’s story.

Mary is the first believer. Her womb was the first tabernacle of Christ. Her heart is the seat of wisdom that contemplates God and has transcended in loving Him beyond her capacity as a human person. Her heart has loved God and has loved the Son of God Jesus who she has begotten through the Holy Spirit. Through her humanity, we share the humanity of Jesus Christ. Through her love, we share into the love of God for us. Through her Immaculate Heart, she connects us to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Like Mary, as foretold in the writings of Isaiah from the first reading, I would like also to express my prayer of trust to the Lord my God. A trust that her heart sings with joy and her little lips has prayed:
“I will greatly rejoice in the Lord, my whole being shall exult in my God; for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation, he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.”

Wherein, in the silence of her Immaculate Heart, she kept all these as she ponders the greatness of God and as she cooperates with the plan of God by totally giving everything; by totally surrendering her all; by allowing God to do His will on her; by loving God and bearing Jesus Christ, our Lord and our Savior; and by loving us as her sons and daughters as she intercedes for us all. Amen.




Br. Archie Villegas Perez

No comments: